With over 30 years of literacy teaching experience Susan Spelic (Reading Advocate and author) founded The Reading Mountain. With empathy for struggling readers, Susan writes to provide access to very simple chapter books featuring decodable words and writes to ‘hook’ kids into reading.
“All kids want to be the Boss of their reading. We are thrilled that we have little readers waiting for the next title releases!” – Susan Spelic
- Semi-decodable chapter books (develop reading and comprehension skills)
- Graphic novel and narrative structures to engage and support kids
- Empower children and boost their reading confidence (struggling readers can sometimes feel isolated or ‘behind’ their friends)
More supportive features…
- Simple to read
- CVC (Consonant Vowel Consonant) and VC words
- Decodable vocabulary and words with digraphs
- Dyslexic and reluctant reader-friendly (well-spaced fonts, muted colour palettes and clean layouts)
- Detailed artwork and speech bubbles
- Characters and narratives suitable for children aged 4-7
- Easily downloadable interactive eBook format (ePub 3.0) (compatible with Apple, Android, PC, Mac devices and iBooks / Google Play Books)
- Australian made (written, illustrated, designed and printed in Australia)
How to use the books?
The Reading Mountain’s titles have been written to be part of a teacher’s toolkit to support reading and spelling programs. They. Our supportive titles are not a sequential program but are proving very useful when investigating spelling patterns and rules in early years classrooms namely in (short CVC and VC decodable words together with words containing digraphs). While our books support struggling readers (with dyslexia, ASD or other learning differences) they are suitable for all developing readers up to 7 years of age. The soothing colour palettes support children who have sensory issues.
Schools have our titles in their home reading collections. One way of preparing a child for a successful reading experience at home, is to make sure that the first time our books are read is ensure that the child has progressed through 7 stages of the Little Learners Love Literacy Program. Our titles are about practising what has been taught at school. In doing so phonemic codes are being scaffolded and phonological awareness is continuing to be developed.
Here are a few hints about supporting your child when reading at home: Supporting your Child’s Home Reading
What makes our books Dyslexic and reluctant reader-friendly?
- Muted colour palettes and engaging images
- Large well-spaced font (Dyslexie) and graphic novel structure
- Carefully designed to help grow a child’s reading confidence
- Thoughtful layout of text, images and spacing
Mailing list sign up
Mother of three, Melbourne Australia
Teacher and Mother of four, Melbourne, Australia
Mother of four, Melbourne, Australia
Father of two
Mother of three, Melbourne, Australia
Arbonne Independent Consultant and Mother of two, Melbourne, Australia
‘My 6yr old is loving that he can read a chapter book and i know my 4yr old will love these too.. I'm excited for the release of the ‘up for a challenge' range '
Mother of two, New South Wales, Australia
Photographer at Merry Images, Melbourne, Australia
Reading Intervention Teacher, Melbourne, Australia